Due to Skate Canada regulations Pre-Canskate will not be available at this time.
CanSkate is a national program designed by Skate Canada for school aged children. They will learn forward and backward skating, stopping, turning and many other skills that are necessary for buildling a strong foundation for other types of skating.
Skaters will progress through the Canskate Badges in the Juvenile and Novice levels. Skills are assessed on a day-to-day basis. A description of skills required for each badge will be posted on the bulletin board in our Club room. Skaters are assigned to groups based on badges being worked on. Volunteer Program assistants will be on the ice to ensure the skaters are practicing their skating skills when they are not receiving instruction from the Club Coaches
Skaters who have completed CanSkate have gone on to enroll in programs such as figure skating (CanStar), speed skating, hockey, ringette and recreational skating.
CSA approved helmets are mandatory until the skater has successfully completed Level 5.
Skaters can wear figure skates or hockey skates.
Parents may opt to dress younger children in snowsuits.
Mitts or gloves are required.
- NO parents and/or spectators are allowed in the stands, no exceptions. This is as per Skate BC COVID-19 regulations.
- At this time, skaters can register in up to TWO sessions only due to COVID-19 regulations (smaller class sizes).
- NO registration will be secured unless an e-transfer of $43.75 (annual athlete insurance cost) is sent immediately to email@example.com. This applies to ALL families, including those who use community sport funding.
- Once the registrar has contacted you to confirm your sessions, session fees must be paid in full, immediately, via e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you use community sport funding, you will need to supply your case/confirmation number.)
To register CanSkate, the following conditions MUST be met, with no exceptions:
- Child must be 5 years old as of December 1, 2020
- Child must have competed CanSkate Level 1
- Child must be able to stand on skates unassisted
- Child must be able to shuffle on skates
- Child must be able to stand up, unassisted, after falling
- Child must be able to be without parent/guardian in the arena
- Child must be able to participate in the 30 minute class without a bathroom break
All registrations must be done online as per Skate Canada regulations.